Thursday, April 26, 2012

Turkey and Veggie Chili

Turkey and Veggie Chili

Ingredients:
1 lb ground turkey
2 medium onions
3 stalks celery
1 large can whole tomatoes
1 large can of tomato sauce
1 pack of whole mushrooms
4 small zucchini
2 bell peppers
2 jalapeños or red Fresno chilies would also be good
Olive oil
Ground cumin
Chili powder
Cayenne powder
Salt and pepper

I cooked mine on the stove top but it is also great in a crock pot ( mine broke )

First I added the whole can of tomatoes, juice and all to a large pot as well as the tomato sauce and turned the heat to medium.  Next I browned the ground turkey, seasoned it with cumin, chili powder, cayenne, and pepper then put that in the big pot.  In batches I sautéed all the veggies in olive oil. I used some amazing garlic and basil olive oil that I got from the Temecula Olive Oil Company, which I highly recommend. On e veggies are tender but still crisp I threw them in the pot as well. You can cut the veggies as big or as small as you like. I like to leave the mushrooms whole because me and my husband love them but the kids, not so much so they can pick them out. Also depending on the amount of heat you want you can either leave the seeds in the jalapeños for hotter or remove them for mild. Add everything bring to a boil, then turn the heat to low and allow to simmer about an hour or so. After its done season with all seasonings and salt and pepper according to your taste. This would be great topped with some chopped green onions or cilantro. I hope this isn't confusing I am not use to writing my recipes down. =)

2 comments:

  1. I'm totally gonna make this, minus the mushrooms, lol. Post some breakfast recipies =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The mushrooms are the best part. lol. I'll do some breakfast recipes very soon! =)

    ReplyDelete